Monday, December 6, 2010

Grieving and Heartburn {illustration}

This first piece was done for a story on using journaling to help with the grieving process after losing a loved one. I thought it was a great solution for a serious story. I was worried about the eye at first because it showed no emotion, but finally decided that keeping it simple and almost generic was a nice contrast to the more organic handwriting in the tears. At least that is what I told myself. Thankfully, my art director agreed!
This next piece illustrated a story on the over-prescription of drugs for heartburn. It's a serious subject, but the bright colors and quirky style of this illustration made it fun for me. More serious illustrations to come.
{both illustrations above ran in the San Diego Union-Tribune}

No comments: